Tom Roby's Recommendation Requirements!
Writing letters of recommendation is an important responsibility,
which I take seriously. In order for it not to consume lots of time
unnecessarily, I'd appreciate your getting the following information
to me in hardcopy with plenty of lead time (2-4 weeks minimum).
Actually, the last three can be electronic, as long as I'm able to view
and print the files without fuss. (Pdf files work better than MS Office
documents in this regard.) Also, please email me at
least two weeks before the first due date your answers to the
following questions. More detail is better.
- A signed copy of the
form (or here is
a backup local copy). You can
just write "any" instead of listing specific names of schools if you
- Any paper forms (rarer nowadays) along with stamped, self-addressed envelopes;
- Transcript (unofficial is fine);
- Current resume or CV;
- a copy of any personal, teaching, or research statements you've
written for this application;
- Any (p)reprints of relevant articles you've written (links to specific papers on
the arXiv or your website are fine).
- What is your name, year entering UConn and expected graduation?
- For what are you applying (e.g., scholarship, graduate school,
summer research experience)? List the programs including the field
of study to which you are applying, together with due dates.
- How long have I known you (in years and months) and in what
relationships(s)? Please list specific course numbers and
terms.(E.g., "I was a Q Center tutor starting in
Fall 2007", or "You attended my oral examination in Spring 2008 and I
took graduate combinatorics with you in Spring 2009".)
- How would you describe yourself? What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses? Your response to this question is very
important to me, so the more details the better.
- What are some of your academic and nonacademic
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
What makes you particularly qualified for this
- What are your long term goals and will this position/honor/award
help? If so, how?
- Additional comments (REU's, summer research, interesting jobs,
Feel free to chat with me about any aspect of this that could use
amplification or clarification. Don't hesitate to remind me when
deadlines are approaching. Usually I will email you when it's actually
done, so if you haven't heard, assume the worst.
similar website of
Orrison, that I found through a similar page
at Tara Holm's website.