Moldvai Csango (East Hungarian Line) Dances
Here are dance descriptions for Moldvai Csángó dances that Marjorie
Nugent and I have taught at the New England Folk
Festival in 2015, 2003 and earlier. We had live music by Csángó Bázonga
(Ralph Iverson, Julia Poirier, and David Skidmore) for the NEFFA
A few notes:
- In 2015 we taught the following dances: (1) Bulgarjaszka, (2) Drumul Dracului, (3)
Zdrobuleanca, (4) Hojna, (5) Gergelytanc, (6) Serenyi Magyaros.
- You can find lots of YouTube links for the music as well as videos of people dancing
these as performance pieces or in the Táncház revival movement. One we particularly
recommend for "Gergelytánc"
- The CD we recommend everyone get is the one by the awesome
Hungarian band Dűvő Zenekar.
Besides their many commerical recordings, each of which offers a
variety of Hungarian and Transylvanian dance music, they also have CD's
that that focus on one region or village. The latter were originally
produced for the dance camp Ti Ti
Tabor, where they are the house band, and are great for dancers or
musicians learning a particularly style.
- The last tune on the CD labeled "Szerba" on the CD works for
- The cut on the CD labeled "Zvabukanka" is a variant name for
what we called "Zdrobuleanca".
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or we
can help in any way!
Marjorie & Tom